The professional degree program in BDS provides candidates with a variety of employment options. After earning their degree, individuals might work as dentists in public or private hospitals. They can also get employment in the industries that produce pharmaceuticals and medical equipment. As dentists, they may also be open to private practice.
After successfully completing the BDS degree course and relevant practice, yes they can perform dental surgery.
BDS graduates are readily hired by hospitals and dental clinics since they have a good understanding of dentistry-related issues. Higher education students have the option of becoming lecturers in the future.
According to their qualifications and skill set, dental professionals are hired for a variety of positions. They are initially paid between INR 30,000 and 40,000, but as they get experience working with professionals, their pay grows.
Job Roles and Responsibilities of a BDS Doctor
If you have a BDS degree from the best BDS colleges in India, you must be going to have a flourishing career ahead. A BDS doctor is a dental surgeon who specializes in the diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of diseases of the oral cavity. A BDS doctor is also known as a dentist.
A BDS doctor is a general practitioner in the field of dentistry. They perform a variety of dental procedures such as filling cavities, extractions, and root canal therapy. They often work in private practices, but some also work for the government or at universities.
The responsibilities of a BDS doctor are to diagnose dental problems, provide treatment options to patients, and educate them on how to maintain good oral health.
The responsibilities of a BDS doctor include:
- Diagnose and treat dental problems
- Provide preventive care to patients
- Participating in teaching and research activities
- Educate patients on how to maintain their oral hygiene
- Using the patient’s history to respond to their medical issues, performing diagnosis,
- treatment, counseling, and referrals as appropriate.
- Ordering laboratory tests and analyzing the findings of the examinations.
- Maintaining complete impartiality and secrecy.
- Gathering, preserving, and documenting private patient data, such as test results, medical records, and reports.
What kinds of surgeries can a BDS doctor perform?
A BDS doctor can perform some kinds of surgery but not all. If you are thinking that a BDS doctor will be able to perform an orthodontic or brain surgery, then you are overestimating their job capabilities. However, they can perform simple oral surgeries like extraction of a normal or impacted tooth. They can also perform routine dental procedures like fillings, root canals, extractions, and more complicated surgeries like tooth replacement or jaw surgery.
A BDS doctor mainly focuses on dental surgeries which include oral and facial surgeries. They can perform a wide variety of surgeries, depending on the specialty of the doctor. A BDS doctor can perform any kind of surgical procedure on the mouth, jaws, teeth, gums, and face. They are trained to treat patients with complex needs that require more than just routine dental care.
BDS doctors perform many different types of surgeries for a variety of reasons.
Types of surgeries a BDS doctor can perform:
Note: BDS doctors might need to get an MDS to be able or qualified to perform some of the surgeries mentioned below.
- Tooth extraction
- Tooth Impact surgery
- Ion removal surgery
- Wisdom tooth cyst removal
- Orthognathic or jaw surgery
- Orthodontic surgery
- Prosthodontic surgery
- Major oral surgeries
- Facial fracture and trauma surgeries
- Maxillofacial surgeries include – maxillofacial deformities, craniofacial trauma, head and neck oncology, orthognathic surgeries, craniofacial syndrome treatment, and facial plastic surgery.
- Periodontal surgery, etc.
Criteria For Admission to BDS Program
Candidates must pass the NEET entrance exam in order to be admitted to a BDS program.
NEET OVERVIEW: The National Testing Agency makes an application form available online. For consideration for admission to the undergraduate dental program, candidates must submit the application by the deadline and take the NEET exam. The computer-based exam is given once a year. One of the requirements to take part in NEET counseling is to achieve the minimum cut-off. Seats are distributed according to rank, candidate preference, seat availability, and reservation requirements.
For candidates to be admitted to BDS programs offered by institutions or universities, they must meet specific conditions. Some of the requirements for eligibility include:
- Candidates should have completed their 10+2 coursework in biology, physics, and chemistry.
- They are required to get at least 50% on their 12th-grade exams.
- No younger than 17 years of age.
- Qualifying marks in NEET are necessary.
Why pursue BDS?
The students choose this course to advance their professions for a variety of reasons. Here are a few benefits of the course that have been listed:
- In the near future, more work prospects are anticipated by BDS students. The government wants to give dentists greater career prospects through improving employment options, which is why there has been a rapid increase in the number of dental patients and doctors.
- The student’s potential earnings during a paid internship range from approximately INR 15,000 to 40,000 INR and rise with their level of knowledge and experience.
- The nation’s dental patient population has grown as a result of more oral hygiene awareness. One needs a BDS degree in order to treat these patients because in India, earning a BDS degree is a requirement for practicing dentistry.
- In order to earn more money than they would outside India, students can even practice their abilities in nations like the US and Canada. They must, however, pass tests like the NBDE or NDEB in order to do this.
Best dental colleges in India
Dental students who want to pursue degree courses in dental studies must be admitted to Mansarovar Dental College, Bhopal. It is also known as the best private dental college in MP. The course structure of this program is highly advanced and allows students to learn more advanced techniques to deal with oral problems efficiently.
Scope of BDS in India
The potential for BDS in India and internationally is enormous given that oral health is one of the major issues for everyone in the modern world. Every month or two, people prefer to go to the dentist for a check-up on their oral health.
In India, the Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) program has a very broad reach and is expanding quickly every day. It relies on the abilities, qualifications, and environment of the particular aspirant as well as where they are practicing.
The BDS program places a strong emphasis on career development and uses that to benefit society. BDS graduates can easily make a good living working for either the government or the commercial sector. Following graduation from BDS, some potential career fields are listed below:
- Government hospitals
- Pharmaceutical Companies
- Private Practice
- Dental Clinics
- Dental Institutions
- Dental Products Manufactures
What Are Some BDS Doctor Tips for Surgery Patients?
If you’re having surgery, it’s important to know what to expect. Here are some tips from BDS doctors on what to do before and after surgery:
Follow the doctor’s instructions on preparing for surgery. This may include quitting smoking, avoiding caffeine and alcohol, and following a special diet.
- Arrive at the hospital on time and ready for surgery.
- If you have any questions or concerns, be sure to discuss them with your doctor.
- Rest as much as possible. Get plenty of sleep and avoid strenuous activity.
- Follow your doctor’s instructions on diet and medication.
- Report any problems or unusual symptoms immediately.
Yes, BDS doctors can perform surgery after doing post-graduate in Dental surgery and then super specialization in cosmetic surgery from Mansarovar Dental College, the best BDS college in Bhopal. For a Master’s in Dental Surgery, Mansarovar Dental College is the ideal place to get the degree. For more details, you can also visit their official website.