We live in a world controlled by science, where technology dominates every aspect of our daily routine. Computers and automated machines have taken over many of our jobs. These machines need software programs to operate. And who do you think creates them? Developers have the responsibility to research, design, and manage these programs. They brainstorm the idea of an application, invent it, and then test their software models. There were 26.4 million software developers back in 2019, and this number will keep increasing. The United States is one of the leading countries in this field with rising opportunities for tech minds. Let’s see how developers contribute to the progress of technology.
Benefits of being a software developer
In the 19th century, the English poet Byron’s daughter Ada Lovelace became the world’s first computer programmer. The contributions of software development to modern technology haven’t decreased since then. It’s no mystery that developers are mostly self-taught programmers. Academic courses prepare these young entrepreneurs to understand the requirements of the 21st-century market. Let’s see how being a software developer benefits one’s personal and professional life.
1. Offers job availability, security, and flexibility
2. A continuous learning experience
3. It persuades you to become creative
4. It makes you patient, self-reliant, and confident
5. Remote working can be made possible
6. You can build your project and sell it independently
7. One of the important benefits of programming is cognitive sharpness. Coding makes you realize how the human brain thinks and processes data.
One might ask what is software development good for. You need to amass a set of certain talents and capabilities to be a good programmer. Therefore, software development is good for creativity and analytical skills. Contrary to a popular myth, programmers can be good social communicators. They excel in math due to their problem-solving skills and can brilliantly manage a project and be influential leaders. These abilities are must to build a strong software developer resume.
Contributions of software developers
There are many names software developers use to refer to their profession. “Programmer” and “engineer” are the most popular ones. An average developer is in the 30s with less than five years of experience. While most are self-educated, many have been job-trained in programming skills. Still, many developers have joined online/physical university lessons in coding. These smart minds help the advancement of modern technology in various ways.
1. Computers and programs: We can operate computers by communicating with then. And this communication is possible because of the software programs installed in computers. Applications development assists us in our daily computer operations on the OS. In comparison, system development works at the back-end and keeps the OS functional. Web development lets us interact with the browsers to “surf” the internet.
2. Automation and robotics: Automation replaces humans and performs repetitive tasks that humans find exhausting to do. Artificial Intelligence seeks to replicate the human mind and imitate its accomplishments. All this technology needs a particular type of coding that could copy the human brain. Programmers we require in robotics need to be well-versed in C++ and Python. They can program sophisticated robots for advancements in automation.
3. Self-driving cars: If our smartphones can be smart, why can’t our cars be more intelligent? Self-driving smart vehicles require different sorts of programming than usually applied in computers. Companies such as Tesla wish to make these cars safer and more reliable. These transportation devices will help the elderly and the disabled. They must be able to recognize road warning signs and traffic signals. Programmers need their utmost abilities to code these cars.
4. The big data: In recent years, we’ve seen a massive rise in data creation and information handling. Websites such as Google and Facebook control large amounts of data processing every second. Therefore, we need better database management software programs to handle a massive amount of data. Developers need to imagine ingenious ideas for a modern DBMS. These programmers will help business organizations manage their data more efficiently.
5. Remote working and learning: The coronavirus pandemic has reawakened a passion for remote working and learning. Video-conferencing and distant learning became widespread in 2020 after the spread of COVID-19. Software developers have created all different computer and mobile applications we used for our education and employment. Apps such as Zoom and Classroom made it easier for people to maintain their daily routines without any health risk.
6. Health services: Nowadays, different sorts of applications exist for various tasks. We have apps that track one’s heart rate. Some applications work as digital pedometers to count the steps you’ve taken. Developers create these apps for the betterment of society. They utilize technology for social welfare. Not only do they help patients, but they also promote the benefits of technology in the world.
7. The entertainment industry: Developers have created different software programs for the ease of the entertainment industry. Who doesn’t use Adobe products for picture/video editing? CGI technology has revolutionized Hollywood to the extent of real-life animation. Games have become more surreal and life-like. Programmers have created many CGI software programs to make this wonder happen.
8. The farmers’ delight: In the United States, some applications help farmers use technology for the country’s agricultural benefit. They can now use cloud infrastructure to find easy access for their products to market. They can share farming practices and suggestions. Different software programs allow them to explore market prices. They can remain updated on weather situations. Now people can even sell cattle online.
9. A global village: It’s normal nowadays to exclaim that the world has now transformed into a “global village.” But the credit isn’t given where it is due! Developers have created all these social media platforms you utilize to engage with your friends and family online. Applications such as Twitter and Reddit allow people to interact with strangers from all over the world. News can now travel faster than it ever traveled in the past.
10. Serving humankind: Developer Greg Sadetsky built a mapping app that helped hundreds of people escape Hurricane Harvey’s catastrophes. Programmers have made it possible for books to be available in digital formats. Different educational apps permit students to learn without the help of a teacher. Many Japanese companies utilize applications to monitor their employees’ mental health. Smart doorbells help decrease neighborhood crimes.
Software development is one of the highest-paying careers in the United States. Our growing dependence on technology makes us rely on software developers. BLS reports that an average software developer earns more than $100,000 every year. With a 22% projected growth rate, its job outlook (2019-29) seems faster than average. Again, why should you become a programmer? Well, the pay is high, and this skill is in demand. You don’t have to live in Silicon Valley, however! NYC alone has thousands of developers. Many tech companies and tech billionaires are hiring skilled software engineers. It is, undoubtedly, a career for the young American generation.