The software development companies have been developing some software applications that fulfill the needs of the users. These software applications cater to the needs of the curious users who have been quite reluctant on using applications that are based on the latest technologies.
The developing era, digitization, global adherence to trends have pushed almost all businesses and organizations to look into the scope of better and advanced applications for the users.
In order to meet such needs, a custom software development company use and swear by some prominent software development methodologies.
These methodologies help them look into the needs of the users, understand their requirements and develop the application accordingly. One such methodology is Agile in software development.
While the waterfall was the most seemed one before agile, now is the time when developers embrace agile more than any other methodology.
In this blog, we will guide you all about the agile methodology in software development. If you are still skeptical about which methodology to opt for in software development, then this is a must read for you to start with.
What is Agile Methodology?
A widely used and renowned software development framework, Agile emphasizes the continuous iteration of development and testing of the project throughout its software development life cycle.
This methodology is usually preferred since it offers development and testing concurrently thus avoiding any challenges at the end of the development of the project.
It is highly pursued methodology as it saved the time of developers. The core values of Agile solely focuses on:
a) Individual and team interactions for transparent and better communication flow. Developers prefer to involve the client and stakeholders as well to ensure that everyone is on the same page and understand the in and out the project well.
b) Working Software is preferred over documentations as developers don’t want to run around in preparing documentation and lagging the actual software development process.
c) Customer Collaboration is applauded as customers are the ones who are the end users of the software applications. In agile methodology, customers are involved in the project to seek their understanding and approvals.
d) Last value of agile methodology is responding to change rather than following a defined plan. Developers believe in development and testing concurrently in agile software development. They do not sit around for testing to be done at the end.
Agile & Waterfall Comparison
Let’s analyze the comparison of agile with that of waterfall framework. Both being the best and usually preferred methodologies, why developers mostly opt for agile?
1) Waterfall method follows a strict procedure i.e. sequential flow from the start point to the endpoint. Agile method is different from waterfall in a way that it proposes an incremental and iterative approach for software design and development.
2) Waterfall methodology does not offer the breakup of design models into individual models for developers to work on. On the other hand, Agile offer developers with break-down of the individual model so that it is easier for developers to focus on.
3) Since waterfall model offers a sequential plan, a software development company use it for being safe and secure to carry on with. While agile is prompt, spontaneous and unconstructed when compared to waterfall framework.
4) The developed software is tested at the end in the waterfall method as per the process and procedure defined. If any changes or errors are identified, the project needs to start from the beginning for the development. In an agile framework, errors, bugs, and changes are fixed right during the development process itself.
5) In the waterfall model, users and stakeholder’s acceptance is considered at the end of the project. Whereas, in agile methodology, user and stakeholder’s acceptance are considered and pushed after the completion of each sprint.
12 Principles of Agile methodology in Software Development
1) The first preference in agile is always customer satisfaction. That is why after the completion of every phase, customers are consulted, and their acceptance is preferred.
2) Any kind of change in the project due to the dynamic environment is well acceptance since agile methodology believes in providing customers with the best services.
3) Any product or service is delivered in higher rate avoiding any kind of delay.
4) There is a close collaboration of customers and developers on the project.
5) Agile framework push stakeholders and team members to stay motivated and positive for the project outcomes.
6) Preference is always in having a face to face meetings for maximum communication and details sharing.
7) The success is measured on the final product.
8) Agile believes in having a maintainable development by keeping a regular pace of development.
9) There is a regular focus on technical excellence and proper design.
10) Keep things simple.
11) Emphasize is on having self-organized teams to build best architectures and designs.
12) The team improves their ability and talents at regular intervals through fine-tune behavior.
Wrapping up, the more we dig deep in knowing agile methodology in software development, the more we find relevant information. Software development companies today are seeking agile since it offers more descriptive final rewards than any other methodology.
The quick and prompt response on software development enables developers to develop and test the project concurrently thus avoiding any delay in delivering quality output.